Friday, August 14, 2009

Hippie Fashion Takes Over the World!


Is it me, or does it seem as though every clothing ad shows 60's inspired fashion lately? Flip through any magazine and you're bound to see what I'm talking about. I believe it all started about a year ago. That's when I first started getting into hippie culture. I started listening to the music, watching the movies, living like they would have. I researched the past and started getting really interested in the whole movement that occurred.

And then I notice at my local mall all the windows filled with hippie inspired ensembles. Sure enough I look in my fashion magazines and it's now THE style. First it was sort of the light Bohemian look with the long flowing dresses. But now you can't escape the friggin' peace sign. It's everywhere! Young girls are wearing tank tops, headbands and peace signs. It's crazy! They don't even know what it stands for or how it even came about! It used to be hip and groundbreaking to flash the piece sign. Now it's kind of domesticated and commercial, so it's, sad to say, but, unhip.


Heck, even Wal-Mart, JCPenney, Kmart, Target, and other huge retailers are joining in. I mean, they have to to keep up with the latest styles, right? To me, though, it just seems so silly. Hippies were all about being free from the norms. They didn't want to follow in the same everyday life like the generations did before them. They made their own clothing. They bought stuff from Salvation Army. They roughed it. They were truly Bohemains. So for these BIG BOX, corporate stores to carry hippie fashion is just crazy. Back in the day, most people saw the hippie culture as bad. Now it's socially accepted as the norm.


So what's next? Are we going to have HUGE afros, platform shoes, or space suits? Not too sure on that one. What do you think?

(Picture Credits: Peace Tee @ Wal-Mart, Folk Fusion from Torrid, ad from Anna Sui, which will now be carried at Target!)

0 comments:

 
*~*Sunday Girl*~* - Music, movies, memories and more. - Maintained By Suzie-Q (2009-2011)